Carbon Monoxide Facts:
Carbon monoxide is invisible! The colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas is a byproduct of burning organic fuels.
- Household appliances and equipment fueled with gas, oils, coal, kerosene or wood.
- Examples: furnaces, water heaters, space heaters, cars, charcoal grills, lanterns, clothes dryers, ovens, fireplaces, lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc.
- Malfunctioning appliance or equipment
- Worn or faulty parts
- Improper venting
- Early symptoms often mimic the flu – headache, nausea, unclear thinking, shortness of breath, weakness, and loss of muscle control.
- Severe symptoms – convulsions, unconsciousness, and possible death.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector.
- Clean and inspect fuel-burning appliances. Use a professional!
- Check for proper ventilation.
- If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Leave your home right away!
- Call 911 or the Connecticut Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222).
- Call the local fire department to test for carbon monoxide.